Dina Pule publicly reprimanded

National Assembly Speaker says Dina Pule’s conduct has undermined people’s trust.

Former minister of communications Dina Pule addressing a press conference on the New Set top boxes held in the margins of the ICT Indaba 2012 at the International Convention Centre in Cape Town. 6 June 2012. Picture: GCIS.

CAPE TOWN - Sacked communications minister Dina Pule has been publicly reprimanded in parliament.

National Assembly Speaker Max Sisulu handed down the rebuke on Tuesday afternoon.

"Your breach of the code of conduct, Miss Pule has gravely undermined the people's trust and brought this house and its members into disrepute."

Sisulu said MPs and cabinet minister are in office to serve the people and not to further their own private interests.

Two weeks ago, Pule was found guilty of breaching the code of conduct for MPs.

She was given the maximum penalties after an ethics probe found she failed to declare her relationship with Phosane Mngqibisa, or his financial interests as required by law.

Mngqibisa was found to have substantially benefitted from his association with her, notably through the 2012 ICT Indaba.

The National Assembly earlier endorsed the ethics committee's report and recommendations.

Pule's punishment includes being fined a month's salary, the loss of her MPs privileges for 15 days and Tuesday's reprimand.

The report will also be sent to the police and the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) after it was found Pule and Communications Department officials may have perjured themselves while giving evidence to the probe.

Pule told the committee she was sorry.

ASSASSINATION PLOT

Last week, the Sunday Times reported there is a man who claims he was hired by Pule's boyfriend, Phosane Mngqibisa, to arrange the murders of parliamentary Ethics Committee Chairman Ben Turok and the Registrar of Member's Interests, Fazela Mohamed.

The man says Mngqibisa approached him and called a hit on Turok so that he could not attend the final sit-down of the Ethics Committee and give the accused more time to come up with a solution for their problems.

He says he was offered R400,000 to falsify documents to counter all claims against him and Pule.

The man claims he has emails and text messages to prove his claims.

The ANC has since called on the police to investigate the allegations.