Phiyega deciding on Petros's replacement
Mzwandile Petros will remain in his position until a replacement is named.
JOHANNESBURG - Names of candidates who could replace Gauteng Police Commissioner Mzwandile Petros when his contract expires are now emerging.
Petros announced his retirement earlier this month.
While his contract technically expires on Thursday, Petros will stay on in the position until his replacement is named.
He could then move to the South African Police Service (SAPS) head office in Pretoria.
National Police Commissioner Riah Phiyega's office says an announcement of Petros's replacement will be made towards the end of the month, but consultations have been finalised.
Eyewitness News understands that political heavyweights in the province are pushing for the appointment of Johannesburg Metro Police Department chief Chris Ngcobo to get the job.
Former acting national commissioner Nhlanhla Mkhwanazi is also in the running.
However, it's understood that Phiyega wants an experienced station commander to be appointed to the position.
Her spokesperson, Solomon Makgale, said Phiyega is in the process of deciding on a replacement
"I am pleased to advise that those discussions have now been concluded. An announcement in this regard will be made before the end of August."
Makgale refused to speculate if any of the names mentioned have been considered.
Petros was appointed to the role of Gauteng police commissioner in 2010.
He became a member of SAPS in 1995 and has served in various positions within the police force, including as Western Cape police commissioner for seven years.