Thousands die - Egyptian army aftermath
A military curfew is now in effect across Egypt as thousands flee from the sites of violence.
TEL AVIV - With a military curfew now in effect in cities across Egypt, thousands are fleeing the sites of violent clashes between Muslim Brotherhood supporters and security forces.
Authorities have cleared out two protest camps with bulldozers and the number of people who've been killed remains unclear.
A 7 pm curfew and a state of emergency is now in effect and journalists on the ground say thousands of people are retreating to their homes.
A man in the Rabaa al-Adawiya camp where security forces allegedly opened fire on protestors with live ammunition said:
"They came and gave us a five minute warning to clear the whole hostel, tonnes of dead people and injured people, most of them are very serious cases."
He claims the authorities refused to let them assist the injured.
"I told them with tears in my eyes, there are many injured people inside the hostel, how do you expect us to relieve them? They said 'It's none of your business, you get out now,' and pushed me out with his gun."
The Muslim Brotherhood is urging Egyptians to take to the streets in their thousands and denounced what it said was a massacre by the army. It says the army is attempting to crush all voices of opposition to what was a military coup.
Egyptian authorities meanwhile have released video footage taken from a helicopter that allegedly shows gun men from the Brotherhood firing at security forces. Both sides blame the other for today's clashes that claimed dozens of lives.
The unrest has spread beyond the capital. Pro Morsi supporters are clashing with police in the Nile Delta where they've set police stations, government buildings and churches ablaze.
Violence and unrest have continued throughout Wednesday and, with conflicting reports emerging from the opposing sides, it is still not clear what exactly has happened there.
There are still conflicting reports about the death toll, with the latest statement by officials within Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood claiming 200 of his supporters have been killed and as many as 8,000 injured.
Earlier today, however, other Brotherhood officials said as many as 2,000 had been killed.
But the government's Health Ministry has only confirmed 95 deaths.
Meanwhile, four journalists have also died during the escalating violence, including a Sky News cameraman.
Speaking to CNN, spokesman for the official Egyptian opposition Khaled Dawoud says the violence will only end once the Brotherhood respects the will of the country's citizens.
"We've seen attempts to occupy and burn headquarters of governments. That cannot be a peaceful group and that's the biggest part of the problem; that they did not listen to Egyptians who came out on June 30 and told them we want to go back to the ballot box."
Security forces reportedly fired tear gas, smashed down tents and allegedly used live ammunition.
Authorities say they have to break up the sit-ins because it was disrupting daily life in Cairo.
One witness said he saw fifteen bodies at a field hospital beside the camp where bulldozers cleared the protesters' tents.
The Brotherhood's leadership has urged its supporters to stay on the streets and thousands have begun moving to a square in Giza to stage another sit-in.