Alex fire devastates family
It’s emerged that the deceased child was a nine-year-old girl and not an 11-year-old boy.
ALEXANDRA - The family of a young girl who died in a house fire in Alexandra on Tuesday morning says they are devastated by the incident.
It's emerged that the child was a nine-year-old girl and not an eleven-year-old boy as initially reported.
Outside the Mthibe family's burnt-out home, belongings were abandoned on the pavement as relatives sat on a blanket in the yard mourning Bontle's loss.
The young girl was burnt on her back, neck and head and died of smoke inhalation when her family's house caught alight while she and her siblings were sleeping.
It's still unclear exactly how the fire started.
Bontle's aunt Ettie Mthibe says neighbours tried to help the young girl's parents rescue her.
Speaking isiZulu, she said: "She was crying for help and our neighbours came to assist us with breaking the security bars. When we finally did it, it was too late."
Fortunately, the girl's uncle was able to save her three-year-old sister and fifteen-year-old brother.