Tutu: We are all okay
Archbishop Desmond Tutu has tweeted that he and his family are okay following a burglary at his home.
CAPE TOWN - Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu has tweeted from his new twitter account that he and his family are okay after his house was burgled earlier this week.
Eyewitness News reported this morning that burglars entered Tutu's Milnerton home in the early hours of Tuesday morning while he and his wife, Leah, were asleep.
Various small items including keys and remotes were stolen.
Tutu apparently discovered the house had been burgled when he woke up at around 5am.
The 81-year-old Nobel Prize winner's fourth tweet, since he took to the social media network for the first time, says:
"Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes about the burglary at our home. We are all okay. Love Arch.Tutu."
The police's Andre Traut said authorities are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident.
"The circumstances surrounding a burglary case perpetrated on Tuesday morning at a residence in Milnerton is being investigated by police."
No arrests have been made.
Milnerton Crime Watch said burglaries are a common occurrence in the area, especially during winter.
A man from the organisation said many home owners have complained about the spike in crime during this period.
He said they have decided to increase patrols.
Meanwhile, this is not the first time the Tutu family has been hit by crime in the area.
In April last year, a domestic worker was killed at the home of Tutu's daughter.
Forty-year-old Angila Machinga's body was found inside the Milnerton house with her hands and feet bound.
She'd been stabbed several times.
Tutu's Twitter account has been suspended allegedly for aggressive following.