Mom of rape victim speaks out

The seven-year-old boy carried four-month-old baby home after they had both been raped.

Old age home residents knit comfort bears for child rape victims. Picture: Giovanna Gerbi/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The mother of a boy who was raped on a farm in Ceres says she does not know how her son will recover from the ordeal.

The seven-year-old and a four-month-old baby girl were sexually assaulted at the weekend.

So far no one has been arrested in connection with the incident.

The mother of the boy has told Eyewitness News her son has not spoken much since the incident occurred last Saturday.

Visibly distraught, she says he is suffering from severe trauma and is struggling to cope as he has had nightmares.

It is understood the suspect entered their tiny Wendy house on Vredebes Farm. He woke the boy up after he snatched the four-month-old baby girl who was asleep nearby.

But when the boy tried to alert his family, the suspect apparently strangled him. He then took the children to a nearby vineyard where he raped them and fled.

Carrying the baby in his arms the seven-year-old walked back to his home and told relatives about what happened.

The girl remains at the Red Cross Children's Hospital where she has already undergone two constructive surgeries.

Meanwhile, it is hoped that the reintroduction of sexual offences courts will help deal with such cases.

On Tuesday, Justice Minister Jeff Radebe announced the reintroduction of the courts specialising in sexual offences saying they were long overdue.

At least 22 courts will be established before the end of the year and 57 others within the next three years.

The public has condemned the ongoing violence against women and children. The DA's Debbie Scheffer said the decision to reinstate the courts in commendable and that the damage caused by phasing them out is immesurable.

According to statistics, a person is raped in South Africa every four minutes.