Zuma won't replace Judge Legodi

President Zuma has reconstituted the commission to include the two remaining judges.

The Arms Deal Commission of Inquiry was postponed by Judge Willie Seriti until 19 August, 2013. Picture: EWN

JOHANNESBURG - President Jacob Zuma has announced he will not replace Judge Francis Legodi, who resigned from the Arms Deal Commission last week.

Zuma has instead reconstituted the commission, which will now only include the two remaining judges, Willie Seriti and Thekiso Musi.

Six months of hearings were scheduled to begin on Monday but were postponed until 19 August in order to sort out the classification of documents and the composition of the commission.

"President Zuma has reconstituted the commission and it's now composed of Justice Willie Seriti, as its chairperson, and Justice Thekiso Musi, as a member," said Presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj.

"The President remains confident that the commission will successfully complete its work."

Yesterday's postponement of the Arms Deal Commission's public hearings raised further concerns about the credibility of the inquiry.

Zuma appointed the commission in 2011 to look into the controversial multi-billion rand arms deal. The President himself has previously been linked to allegations of corruption in part of the deal.

The commission has been hit by a series of setbacks over the past few months and has seen several high level resignations.

PLAGUED BY PROBLEMS

The commission has faced several setbacks since being established, casting its credibility into the spotlight.

In January, senior investigator Norman Moabi quit after writing to Judge Seriti, alleging that the commission was not transparent and had a "second agenda".

In May, commission secretary Mvuseni Ngubane was found dead in his car in KwaZulu-Natal. Police said a suicide note was found next to his body.