Vavi pleased after allegations dropped
The Cosatu General Secretary says he is considering further legal action against his accuser.
JOHANNESBURG - Cosatu General Secretary Zwelinzima Vavi said in a tweet on Monday afternoon the person who accused him of sexual harassment and rape has withdrawn her grievance.
In a statement on Cosatu's website which followed the tweet, Vavi said he was pleased the accusations had been withdrawn.
"I hope that we all can put this saga behind us so that we all can concentrate on the real issues of the day."
He says his accuser, a junior employee at Cosatu, withdrew her grievance two hours into an internal hearing.
No criminal charges relating to the allegations were laid but Vavi has opened a case of extortion against the 26-year-old woman.
He said in the statement he hoped the charge would be dealt with "expeditiously" by the police.
"In the light of the extreme damage that has been done to my reputation, I will consult with my lawyers to consider any further actions about this matter."
In a second tweet he said he was not going to comment further on the statement and that he would be spending the afternoon with his family.
Vavi has admitted to cheating on his wife but said the sex was consensual.
He has apologised to his wife and the country for his actions and has thanked all those who gave him their support.
Over the past few months, Vavi has claimed on a number of occasions he is the victim of a political campaign to discredit him.
He believes it's being driven by President Jacob Zuma's supporters following the ANC's elective conference in Mangaung late in 2012.
He views the rape allegations in the same light as several other death threats he has been receiving as political assaults and efforts to tarnish his contribution to the struggle.
The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa) has thrown its support behind Vavi.
Numsa Kwazulu-Natal secretary Mbuso Ngubane said he believed the allegations were part of a political plot to destroy the Cosatu leader.