Vavi denies rape allegation
The Cosatu General Secretary says this is an extremely intimate, private, personal and delicate matter.
JOHANNESBURG - Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) General Secretary Zwelinzima Vavi on Saturday denied rape allegations levelled against him.
A female colleague allegedly demanded R2 million from the secretary general to remain silent about the saga.
In a statement released by Vavi on Saturday morning, he said he engaged his lawyers and was willing to appear before any legitimate body to clear his name.
He says this is an extremely intimate, private, personal and delicate matter.
Vavi says there are two families involved and children on both sides.
According to a report by the City Press, the married Vavi confirmed that an affair took place at Cosatu's Johannesburg offices in January 2013.
The complainant has not laid charges against Vavi.
He said he would only respond to the allegations through his lawyer.
Speaking on Talk Radio 702 earlier in July, Vavi discussed death threats made against him.
He said he was genuinely concerned there could be an attempt made on his life.
Vavi said he was also called into a meeting last year where he was advised of a plot to poison him.
"Immediately after the Cosatu congress last year, I was called into a discussion with the acting head of crime and intelligence. He advised me that they'd come across a plot to poison me from the Iranian Intelligence Services."