Pikitup operations to resume by Friday

More than 1,000 employees are currently on strike.

Rubbish piles up on Louis Botha Avenue due to the ongoing strike action by Pikiyup. Picture: Sebabatso Mosamo/EWN

JOHANNESBURG - Waste management company Pikitup says all its operations are expected to be back to normal by the end of this week.

Workers embarked on an illegal strike last week over a court ruling which says they will not be provided with transport to and from work.

"We are now at 90% operations which is an improvement from where we were last week," says Pikitup's Desiree Ntshingila.

More than 1,000 employees are currently on strike, Ntshingila confirmed on Thursday.

A total of five Johannesburg depots including Randburg, Avalon, Norwood, Roodepoort and Southdale have been affected.

Ntshingila says the company is in constant negotiations with unions to end the strike.

"So far nothing has been disclosed. It is however an internal matter and well just wait to see what the outcome is."

Last week, the company called on Johannesburg police to guarantee the safety of its employees after a truck driver was attacked in Randburg.

Ntshingila said strikers were blocking trucks from leaving its depots.

She said a few suspension letters were issued.

Ntshingila has appealed to residents to keep rubbish bins on their premises while talks with employees continue.

In May, workers embarked on a strike as they were unhappy with the new management and new company policies.

They were particularly disgruntled by the implementation of a biometric access control system.

The strike was later called off.