Kotze to appeal for lighter sentence

Johan Kotze will have one last chance to appeal for a more lenient sentence.

Ina Bonnette's attackers, Johan Kotze and three of his co-accused were found guilty of raping and mutilating her in the North Gauteng High Court on Monday. Sentencing was reserved. Picture: Sebabatso Mosamo/EWN

PRETORIA - The man dubbed the 'Modimolle Monster' will have one last chance to appeal for a more lenient sentence after being convicted of orchestrating the gang-rape of his estranged wife Ina Bonnette and killing her son Conrad.

Johan Kotze and his three co-accused were found guilty of rape, kidnapping, robbery and assault with the intention to do bodily harm in the North Gauteng High Court on Monday afternoon.

Judge Bert Bam also found Kotze and one of the co-accused, Andries Sithole, guilty of murdering Bonnette's son.

Sello Phaka and Pieta Mohlake were both found guilty on the same charges, except murder.

Both Kotze's best friend Dirk van der Merwe and the ANC Women's League are calling for him to rot in jail.

Van der Merwe says he is relieved.

"He buggered up my life and my wife's for a year, and my marriage a little bit."

Kotze's clinical psychologist had testified that he suffered from a narcissistic personality disorder and wanted revenge after seeing Bonnette with another man.

But the state's expert found that Kotze can indeed be held responsible for his crime.

Refusing to comment in full, Bonnette simply said, "I'm overwhelmed, but feel good."


The court heard that Kotze could remember standing with a firearm in his hand and his stepson begging him not to shoot him, still maintained he had not killed Conrad.

He also denied instructing his three co-accused to gang-rape Ina Bonnette.

Kotze's clinical psychologist testified that he was not of sound mind when he orchestrated the attack on his wife

Defence lawyer Piet Greyling also told the court his client was temporarily dissociated at the time of the attack.

The crimes took place in Limpopo in January 2012.

Kotze was on the run for more than a week before being captured by the police.

The court has been adjourned until 8:30 on Tuesday morning when sentencing arguments will be made.

The state will try to convince the court to hand down the harshest sentence possible.