Foreskin - GP men opt for the snip

Gauteng Health Dept says more than 90,000 males undewent circumcisions during the 2012/13 financial year.

Gauteng Health Dept urges more males to make use of medical circumcision as a safer option. Picture: AFP.

JOHANNESBURG - The Department of Health said on Monday medical male circumcisions are on the rise in Gauteng.

The department's Simon Zwane said more than 90,000 males underwent the procedure in the province's public health facilities during the 2012/13 financial year.

Zwane also urged more males to make use of the services.

"We want to encourage more people to make use of the facilities because it's safer and in a controlled environment and it doesn't take a long time."

Meanwhile, over 50 teens have died countrywide since the beginning of the initiation season in June.

Health Minister Aaron Motsoaledi also lashed out at circumcision schools following the deaths of 30 initiates in the Eastern Cape earlier this month.