Agreement ends Metrobus strike
A professional will now investigate allegations levelled against management.
JOHANNESBURG - All Johannesburg Metrobuses are expected to be back on the roads today after an agreement was reached between the South African Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) and the employer on Thursday.
Metrobus has 14 days to appoint a professional to investigate allegations levelled against management.
On Monday, Samwu members downed tools demanding the suspension of Metrobus Acting Managing Director Lawrence Maqekoane pending an investigation into allegations against him.
Drivers affiliated to Samwu said the company was riddled with corruption since Maqekoane took office in 2012.
Samwu's Phanuel Tshikovha said workers were also opposed to the bus operator's implementation of a behavioural assessment when employing new staff.
"We are saying the behavioural assessment is illegal. It must be stopped."
Metrobus' Ranti Mahlabana gave the assurance that it will fully cooperate and appoint an investigator within two weeks.
"There are mechanisms in place to ensure if we fail, we'll resort to the Johannesburg Bargaining Council to appoint someone for us. Any action that should be taken will be taken and whatever comes out, both parties will leave with the result of the independent investigators."
Earlier this week, Metrobus expressed concern over the safety of its employees after a non-striking driver was assaulted allegedly by strikers.
Several commuters were stranded as a result of the strike.