NPA satisfied dumpers were denied bail

The NPA says that if the human waste dumpers were released it would have set a bad example.

Residents protest outside the Bellville Magistrates Court for basic sanitation on 8 July 2013. Picture: Lauren Isaacs/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said on Monday it doesn't believe the people arrested for dumping raw sewage at the Cape Town International Airport should be released on bail.

Seven out of the group of nine were denied bail after appearing in the Bellville Magistrate's Court on Monday while two of the men were released on R500 bail.

This is because at the time of the airport incident, seven suspects were out on a warning after dumping waste at the Western Cape Legislature.

The group dumped raw sewage in a terminal at the airport late last month.

They will appear in court again on 5 August.

The NPA's Eric Ntabazalila said, "It gives us a good and clear message that you cannot commit a crime and expect to be released again. If those people were released it would have sent the wrong message to the public."

Meanwhile disgruntled residents said on Monday they would not stop protesting and dumping faeces in public places until each informal settlement resident has access to proper flush toilets.

A resident said the men were simply fighting for their rights and don't deserve to be behind bars.

"I feel sad because there was no reason to arrest them. We're here for our rights."

Western Cape Premier Helen Zille said on Monday she will not comment on angry township residents who have rejected her attempts to resolve their sanitation issues.

"As everybody knows, the case is before the courts at the moment. We're waiting for the outcome of that case."