'Shack fires caused by negligence'
A 28-year-old man and an eight-month-old baby were killed in separate fires.
CAPE TOWN - Cape Town's Disaster Risk Management Services at the weekend said most domestic fires are caused by lack of thought or concentration.
Two people died in separate fires in the Western Cape over the past few days.
A 28-year-old man in Khayelitsha was killed and an eight-month-old baby in Bonteheuwel burned to death when her parent's wendyhouse caught on fire.
Disaster Management Wilfred Solomons-Johannes said a series of fires at the weekend could have been prevented if residents were more careful.
"Most of these fires are a result of people leaving open flames unattended."
He said there's an increase in shack fires during the winter months as residents try to keep warm.
Meanwhile, fires in the Western Cape have left more than 30 residents in Atlantis, Khayelitsha, Durbanville and Langa, homeless.