Poo dumpers' case postponed
The accused were arrested last week after allegedly posing as airport passengers.
CAPE TOWN - The case against nine men who dumped human waste at the Cape Town International Airport has been postponed until Monday.
The accused were arrested last week after dumping raw sewage in a terminal at the airport as part of protest action against the City of Cape Town's poor sanitation services in informal settlements.
The suspects were allegedly posing as passengers.
The nine men appeared in the Bellville Magistrates Court on various charges, including public violence. They will remain in custody until their next court appearance.
The state is opposing bail as it believes the accused will continue to dump human faeces at public places once they're released.
However the legal team representing the accused has argued that the men should be set free as their actions were sparked by legitimate grievances.
Meanwhile 22 people, who were arrested on Monday for protesting 100 metres away from the court, are also expected to appear in the same court later on Tuesday.
ANC CONDEMNS ATTACKS
Last week the African National Congress (ANC) in the Western Cape said it is taking disciplinary action against councillor Loyiso Nkohla and suspended ANC member Andile Lili, two of its members involved in the incident.
The party's Provincial Secretary Songezo Mjongile said the organisation has distanced itself from the dumping of faeces as a form of protesting.
"We support the issues that are being raised but we think they should be raised in an orderly manner," he said.
More than half a dozen incidents of human waste being used in these Western Cape protests have been recorded since the beginning of June.
Western Cape Premier Helen Zille has condemned the protests, saying they are politically motivated ahead of the 2014 general elections.
The Western Cape is the only province that is led by the Democratic Alliance.