Madiba critical but stable - Presidency
The Presidency on Monday released an update on former president Nelson Mandela’s health.
JOHANNESBURG/PRETORIA/MTHATHA- Former president Nelson Mandela is still in a critical but stable condition, the Presidency said in a statement on Monday.
Madiba was admitted to the Mediclinic Heart Hospital in Pretoria on 8 June for a recurring lung infection.
"We remind all South Africans to begin planning for Madiba's birthday on the 18th of July. We must all be able to do something good for humanity on this day, in tribute to our former President," President Jacob Zuma said through Presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj.
The Presidency thanked all South Africans for keeping the Nobel Peace Prize laureate in their prayers
The 94-year-old former president has been in a critical condition for more than a week now.
More people have visited Madiba's Houghton home in northern Johannesburg with many youngsters taking advantage of the school holidays to leave cards and messages of support.
There has been a somewhat sombre mood outside Madiba's home since he was first admitted to hospital.
Over the past week, more cards piled up and the number of visitors increased.
Many children, including nine-year-old Nandi from Diepkloof, have helped lift the mood.
"To Tata Mandela from Nandi: I hope you get better. I will cry if you don't get better. Thank you for stopping apartheid. Now the world is better. You are most important. I love you."
Earlier, one of Madiba's grandchildren came outside to collect some of the cards while Mandela's wife Graça Machel was seen leaving the house just before 2pm.
This is Madiba's fourth hospitalisation since December.
Mandela's daughter Makaziwe has arrived in the Eastern Cape and has met her lawyers as a legal spat over exhumations continues.
Last week, 16 members of the Mandela family brought an urgent application to the Eastern Cape High Court in Mthatha against Madiba's grandson, Mandla.
It is believed they want the remains of three of Mandela's children to be moved from Mvezo to Qunu.
Mandla had reportedly moved them in 2011.
Judge Lusindiso Phakade on Friday granted an order in favour of the applicants.
While Mandla has expressed disappointment at the family's decision to take the matter to court, he says he will respond to any court action.
Lawyers involved in the dispute met with Phakade at the high court on Monday.
While the details have been kept under wraps, the case has exposed a rift in the family.
Meanwhile, the traditional royal houses in the area have decided to intervene in the dispute.
They are expected to hold a meeting next week in an attempt to resolve the matter.