Mandla Mandela to challenge family court order
Madiba’s grandson is expected to challenge a court order for him to return family remains to Qunu.
QUNU - Chief Mandla Mandela's legal team is expected to launch a challenge into a court order against him.
At least 16 members of the Mandela family brought an urgent application against the former president's grandson on Friday.
They want the remains of three of Madiba's children brought back from Mvezo to Qunu, after Mandla had moved them in 2011, without consulting the rest of the family.
Last week some members of the Mandela clan held a meeting to discuss moving the remains.
United Democratic Movement leader Bantu Holomisa, a friend of the Mandelas, attended the meeting.
"Mandla did apologise when we were in the meeting. We left the meeting thinking that everything is going to be implemented as agreed to, to follow the Madiba tradition in removing those remains from Mvezo," Holomisa said.
The Mandela family then took the matter to court.
Meanwhile, Mandla, who is the chief of the Mvezo Traditional Council, avoided speaking to journalists after attending a prayer service for his grandfather in Qunu on Sunday.
However, in an earlier statement he said he was compelled to go to court to defend himself.
The ailing statesman is currently at the MediClinic Heart Hospital in Pretoria where he is undergoing treatment for a recurring lung infection. His condition is said to be critical but stable.
Madiba was admitted to the facility over three weeks ago.