Poo Wars: 9 to appear in court
An analyst says playing dirty politics will never draw voters to the polls.
CAPE TOWN - While the ANC has slammed Cape Town's toilet wars, a political analyst believes it's a clear political ploy by some members within the party to destabilise the Western Cape.
A total of nine people believed to be ANC Youth League members will be appearing in the Bellville Magistrate's Court on Thursday.
They're accused of dumping human waste at Cape Town International Airport on Tuesday.
More than half a dozen incidents of human waste being used in protests have been recorded since the beginning of June.
On 3 June faeces was dumped on the door steps of the provincial Legislature.
The following day a group of people from Khayelitsha threw human waste at Western Cape Premier Helen Zille's convoy as she attended a Green Economy event in the area.
Human Settlements Minister Bongiwe Nkosi-Madikizela's car was also targeted while he attended an event in Khayelitsha.
Unisa's Political Science Professor Derick Coetzee says this is a desperate attempt by the ANC to garner votes ahead of the 2014 elections.
"The ones who could benefit are the DA."
He said playing dirty politics never drew voters to the polls.
Meanwhile, ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu called on party members not to involve themselves in these demonstrations.
"This thing is demeaning to our society and our country."
But protest leaders Andile Lili and Loyiso Nkohla have both vowed to continue with their demonstrations no matter what action is taken against them.
Earlier in the day, Zille accused ANC members of disrespecting their former leader Nelson Mandela.
Zille said the ringleaders are affiliated to the ANC.
"One is an elected ANC member of the city council of Cape Town and all of them are known leaders in the ANC Youth League."