Officials condemn ‘toilet war’
Both the ANC and the Department of Human Settlements hit out at Cape Town protesters.
CAPE TOWN - The Department of Human Settlements on Wednesday said the so-called Cape Town toilet war is unnecessary as there are proper channels of communication in place for residents.
It is believed some ANC Youth League (ANCYL) members posed as passengers and dumped human waste inside Cape Town International Airport on Tuesday afternoon.
Nine people were arrested in connection with the dumping.
The suspects will appear in the Bellville Magistrate's Court on Thursday.
Over the past few weeks, several protests against poor sanitation have taken place across the municipality.
Residents were protesting against the city's portable flush toilet project.
Western Cape Premier Helen Zille's convey was also targeted by demonstrators.
National department spokesperson Xolani Xundu said the attacks must stop.
"There are proper channels which they can use. As the Department of Human Settlements, we remain committed to that and we really question the motive of those behind the protests."
At the same time, the ANC says it told its structures in the Western Cape to urgently take disciplinary action against members involved in these protests.
ANC spokesperson Jackson Mthembu called on party members not to involve themselves in these demonstrations.
"This thing is demeaning to our society and our country."
But protest leaders Andile Lili and Loyiso Nkohla have both vowed to continue with their demonstrations no matter what action is taken against them.
Earlier in the day, Zille accused ANC members of disrespecting their former leader Nelson Mandela.
Zille said the ringleaders are affiliated to the ANC.
"One is an elected ANC member of the city council of Cape Town and all of them are known leaders in the ANC Youth League."