Hewitt abuse accuser believes in justice again
The woman claiming to have been abused by Bob Hewitt says her faith in the justice system is now restored.
JOHANNESBURG - As tennis legend Bob Hewitt prepares to appear in court in August on charges of rape and indecent assault, one of his alleged victims on Thursday told Eyewitness News the charges have restored her faith in the justice system.
Hewitt has been served with a summons to appear in a Johannesburg court, after claims emerged that he had sexually abused some of the children he coached in the 1970s.
Suellen Sheehan said she was abused by Hewitt more than 30 years ago, and she and her fellow accusers have been trying for years to lay criminal charges against him.
Sheehan said she was surprised to hear about the summons served on the tennis legend on Saturday last week and welcomed the news.
"I have a little more confidence in the system to know they are prepared to take on [our matter] and it means the absolute world to me."
She said she hopes this will send a message to other child abusers and their victims.
"This is proof that parents must never ever think that it could never happen to them. If it does happen to a child, that child must be educated and know they will find somebody who will listen."
Hewitt is set to appear in the Boksburg Magistrates Court on various charges.
The former tennis star won 15 Grand Slam doubles titles. He was inducted into the International Tennis Hall of Fame, but was indefinitely suspended late last year.