SA men killed in Mogadishu named

Denel's Vuyelwa Qinga says both men were managers.

Somali National Government soldiers are pictured after Al-Qaeda linked Shebab insurgents shot and blasted their way into the United Nations compound in Mogadishu on June 19, 2013. Two South Africans were killed in the attack.  Picture: AFP

JOHANNESBURG - Two South Africans killed in a terror attack in Somalia have been identified as Morne Lotter and Alan Simpson.

Lotter and Simpson were working for arms company Denel's Mechem division. They were contracted to manage a United Nations compound in Mogadishu.

Denel's Vuyelwa Qinga said both men were managers.

"Morne Lotter was 42 years old and came from Oudtshoorn. [He] was a facility manager. Alan Simpson was 35 years old and from Port Elizabeth. [He] was a maintenance manager."

Denel said on Thursday it was working with the men's families to return their bodies to the country as soon as possible.

The two men died when a car bomb was detonated outside a United Nations (UN) camp in Mogadishu.

Qinga further said: "Denel is working with families, government and the Department of International Relations to ensure the bodies will be returned to their families."

At the same time, the arms company said it would continue its operations in Somalia but has moved the rest of its employees to a safe location.

Qinga said the company was saddened by the loss of life but was committed to staying in Somalia.

"Denel will continue to support all peacekeeping efforts that our government carries out under the sponsorships of the UN and the African Union (AU)."

She said no other Denel employees were injured.

"The rest of the employees have been taken to a place of safety. They're safe under the UN and the AU."

Al-Qaeda linked terror group al-Shabaab has claimed responsibility for the attack.


Meanwhile, UN Chief Ban Ki-Moon has expressed his outrage at the attack, describing it as "despicable".

It was the most serious attack on the UN in recent years by insurgents that have boasted about killing what they call "infidels".

Al-Shabaab insurgents killed nine people as they shot and blasted their way into the UN compound in Mogadishu.

Seven attackers also died in the assault.

Ki-Moon telephoned Somalia's president, Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, soon after the attack.

He has vowed the world organisation won't end its work in the troubled country.

The attackers used a pickup truck laden with explosives and suicide attackers to blast their way into the fortified base.

Somali and AU troops moving into the complex faced heavy gunfire to end the hour-and-a-half siege.