Toilet wars not over, says former ANC man

Andile Lilli and his two co-accused are free men until their next court appearance in August.

City of Cape Town workers clean portable toilets in Gugulethu on 11 June 2013. Picture: Tammy Abrahams/EWN

CAPE TOWN - Former ANC councillor Andile Lili has warned Cape Town's so-called toilet wars are far from over.

Lili and more than 180 protestors were arrested earlier this week after being caught with human waste, allegedly destined for the Western Cape Legislature and the City of Cape Town's head offices.

Their actions follow the removal of sanitation services from some informal settlements.

Lili and his two co-accused were released on a warning on Thursday.

Alleged to be the brain behind the toilet wars which saw human waste being thrown on the steps of the provincial legislature last week, Lili has sent a clear message to Cape Town Mayor Patricia de Lille.

"The only solution to prevent us from [protesting] is to clean those buckets."

Meanwhile, Lili's associate, ANC Proportional Councillor Loyiso Nkohla, who on Thursday handed himself over to police for his involvement, was also released on a warning.

All 184 suspects are due back in court on the 2 August.

An ANC Youth League National Task Team said its members involved in the so-called poo wars would not face disciplinary action.

The team visited areas affected by the removal of sanitation services earlier this week.

De Lille withdrew the services from several informal settlements where cleaning staff where attacked and their vehicle set alight in April.

The league's Magasela Mzobe said, "Disciplinary action cannot be an instrument to silence for frustrated people. We believe at this stage there's nothing that warrants that action, what is warranted is the cleaning of the toilet."

Mzobe also addressed the issue of the disbandment of the league in the province, including the Dullah Omar Branch, which was officially demobilised on Wednesday.

He said an interim leadership will be announced soon.