Waste Wars: Faeces dumpers in court
It's a long day for the 184 arrested Cape 'poo dumpers' as only 10 are allowed in the dock at a time.
CAPE TOWN - The Cape Town Magistrate's Court made slow progress on Wednesday in dealing with the 184 people involved in trying to dump human waste at the City Council and Provincial Legislature earlier this week.
The group was arrested at a Woodstock train station on Monday while they tried to highlight their disgust at the new portable toilet system the city has been trying to install in some informal settlements.
Proceedings were slow but steady on Wednesday morning as only 10 accused were allowed in the dock at a time.
One woman, who did not want to be named, said she happened to be on the train when the accused were arrested.
"They didn't ask us anything, they just said we must sit down and afterward they took us to the police station and then they accused us of travelling by train without tickets."
The Magistrate remanded the matter to 2 August for further investigation.
The state further warned the accused not to participate in illegal gatherings and to refrain from damaging public property.
Meanwhile, the person allegedly behind the protests, former councillor Andile Lili and some ANC Youth League members are also expected in court on Wednesday.