Fire safety campaign underway in Khayelitsha
Khayelitsha residents gathered at the OR Tambo Hall to learn more about fire safety in winter.
CAPE TOWN - A Khayelitsha burn victim believes the only way to reduce the number of people who are affected by fires, is through continuous awareness.
A large crowd of residents gathered at the OR Tambo Hall in Khayelitsha on Wednesday for the Winter Wise campaign.
The initiative is aimed at raising awareness and preparedness around reducing fires during the winter season.
Sibongile Zenzile sustained burn wounds to her face and upper body in 1997 after a paraffin stove exploded in her face.
The 40-year-old woman, who was living in the Eastern Cape at the time of the incident, was boiling milk for her eight-month-old daughter when the stove went up in flames.
She was transferred to the Somerset Hospital in the Green Point area of Cape Town for further medical treatment where she spent five months recovering.
The Winter Wise campaign aims to teach residents how to use paraffin and gas to avoid accidents.
Zenzile said she hopes that residents will take the initiative seriously.