State rejects Kana's confession

The state has rejected the detailed description of how Johannes Kana sexually assaulted Anene Booysen.

Johannes Kana (front) and Jonathan Davids (back), accused of gang-raping, murdering and mutilating 17-year-old Anene Booysen, appear in the Bredasdorp Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, 26 February 2013. Picture: Sapa.

BREDASDORP - The state has rejected the sexual assault admission of the man accused of Anene Booysen's rape and murder.

Johannes Kana appeared in the Bredasdorp Magistrate's Court on Monday.

He was arrested in February, just days after a mutilated 17-year-old Booysen was found at a construction site.

She later died in hospital.

With his hands crossed behind his back Kana looked calm in the dock while his lawyer read out his confession.

The statement gave a detailed version of what he claims happened on the night of Booysen's rape and murder.

Kana claims he and friends had been drinking and Anene had joined them. The two then left the group and walked home.

He admitted they were drunk and on the way they started to kiss.

He claimed that Booysen fell and he then raped her, but he maintains that he did not kill her.

Kana's mother held her head down as she listened.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) Eric Ntabazalia said they have evidence suggesting otherwise.

"We don't dispute that he did rape her but we did not accept it [his confession] because he is not putting forward the full version of what happened. We did not accept it on those grounds."

Kana's co-accused Jonathan Davids was acquitted earlier this month when the NPA said evidence could not pinpoint Davids to the crime scene.