Breytenbach eager to return to work
Glynnis Breytenbach will consider negotiating with the NPA about a possible return to work.
JOHANNESBURG - As Glynnis Breytenbach considers negotiating with the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) about her possible return to work, Eyewitness News on Thursday learnt details of how the controversial decision to take her to court was reached.
On Monday, Breytenbach was acquitted on all 15 charges in her formal NPA disciplinary inquiry.
She was suspended in April last year for her handling of a mining rights matter.
But she says it was to stop her prosecuting former Crime Intelligence head Richard Mdluli.
Eyewitness News has learnt that the decision to take the Breytenbach judgment to court on review was taken at a robust, lengthy meeting during which opposition to the move was voiced.
It's understood just five people were in the meeting to discuss the judgment, Acting National Director of Public Prosecutions (NDPP) Nomgcobo Jiba, head of the Specialised Commercial Crime Unit, Lawrence Mrwebi, NPA CEO Karen van Rensburg, the manager of employee relations Ronnie Pather and Advocate William Mokhari.
Jiba did not consult her deputies and some within the NPA suggested she should have met with her executive and she and Mrwebi should have recused themselves.
It's understood that the NPA CEO and Pather voiced their opposition to pursuing the matter in court.
Breytenbach has claimed that the CEO refused to sign her suspension letter.
Mokhari said the hour long meeting was a consultation briefing where all present were allowed to express their opinions.
The NPA has declined to comment but Mokhari said the decision to take the judgment on review was unanimous.