E-toll protest gets the green light
Cosatu will lead a march against the controversial e-tolling system in Gauteng.
JOHANNESBURG - A high court has granted permission for an e-toll protest to go ahead on Friday morning, the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) in Gauteng said on Thursday.
Earlier in May, the trade union federation applied to metro police and the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality for the right to protest, but the request was denied.
Government is on the verge of launching the controversial system, despite a pending court challenge.
Cosatu's Dumisani Dakile said they will now mobilise as much support as they can in the time available.
"The court has granted us that particular order with costs against both the municipality and the South African Police Service. Tomorrow we are proceeding with our action."
He said the highway drive-slow will start at 9am and will affect major highways like the N3 and N12.
Cosatu, the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa) and the Catholic Church have publically opposed the system.
However, the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) says the introduction of e-tolls is imminent.
Sanral says after the 30-day period and once President Jacob Zuma signs another bill into law, e-tolling will be launched.