Another soldier dies following CAR mission
A 15th SANDF soldier has succumbed to his injuries following the deadly mission.
JOHANNESBURG - The South African National Defence Force (SANDF) on Wednesday said a memorial service and funeral were arranged for yet another soldier who died from injuries suffered in the Central African Republic (CAR).
The SANDF confirmed a 15th soldier, Lucas Moloke, died in hospital over the weekend - two months after his unit's clash against rebels in the CAR.
Earlier in May, Eyewitness News revealed that a 14th soldier had died at his home.
The defence force's Xolani Mabanga said the medical reasons for the death were confidential.
"There's a planned memorial service which will take place at his home unit on 6 June. The funeral will take place on 8 June."
The soldiers died during clashes with the rebels in Bangui.
At least 27 troops were wounded in the battle and it is unclear whether any more remain in hospital.
The rebels managed to overthrow President Francois Bozizé.
Meanwhile, opposition parties continue to demand answers regarding the controversial deployment.