Cape boy (16) killed, cops probe gang link
A 16-year-old boy was shot and killed in Mitchells Plain yesterday evening.
CAPE TOWN - Police say they cannot confirm if the latest fatal shooting in Mitchells Plain is related to gang violence.
A 16-year-old boy was gunned down in Daint Street in Rocklands yesterday evening.
The two gunmen responsible for the teenager's death fled the scene.
Police spokesperson Andre Traut says they are investigating a murder case.
Traut says investigators are trying to determine the circumstances of the shooting.
Gang violence has been thrust into the spotlight with several shootings across in and around Cape Town in recent weeks.
Last week, 19-year-old Glenrico Martin was gunned down at Spes Bona High School in Athlone. Three men stormed into the school and shot him in front of his fellow pupils. Two men have since been arrested and have appeared in court. Police are still hunting for the third assailant.
Several days after Martin's murder, two men were shot dead in separate incidents in Kraaifontein and Mitchells Plain. The authorities believe both attacks are related to gang hostilities.
Two men, aged 23 and 28, were gunned down in Delft on Tuesday, bringing the number of people killed in the area in the last week to fives.
Earlier on the same day, Western Cape Police Commissioner Arno Lamoer said more could be done to stop gang violence in the province. However, he called on members of the public to help police solve the problem.
The top cop said to fight gangsterism the people living in societies affected by scourge need to be uplifted.
It's estimated there are some 150,000 gang members in the province.
The Western Cape community police board says it believes many of the gangs operating in the cape have crime intelligence superior to that of the police.