New Proteas coach paid his dues
Gary Kirsten’s successor Russell Domingo hits back at critics saying he paid his dues.
JOHANNESBURG - Newly appointed Proteas coach Russell Domingo has hit out at critics, who have argued his lack of playing credentials make him unfit to coach a national team.
The former Warriors man has been chosen to succeed Gary Kirsten, who announced on Friday that he won't be renewing his contract which expires in August sending shockwaves through South African sport.
Domingo said he's paid his dues.
"I have been coaching for 16 years, since I was 22-years-old, playing and coaching are two totally different scenarios. I think I have gone through all the phases that a coach needs to go through, rightfully so because I don't have the playing credentials to go with that. I feel I can offer something to the national side."
Domingo had served as Kirsten's assistant for the last two years and been in charge of the country's Twenty20 team since December.
Meanwhile, the most successful coach in test and limited overs cricket in recent years, Kirsten said he spent 250 days away from home last year and needed to spend more time with his young family.
The Champions Trophy in England and Wales will be the last tournament in charge of the side for the 45-year-old.
Kirsten led India to a World Cup win in 2011 and since taking over as South Africa coach later the same year has seen the country rise to the top of the test rankings.