Satawu takes to the streets again
Satawu have intensified its strike action by marching through the JHB CBD for a second time this week.
JOHANNESBURG -Transport union Satawu on Friday said that their march through the Johannesburg city centre is an intensification of the bus drivers strike and comes as they prepare to respond to the latest wage offer.
Employers are offering an increase of nine percent across the board, but Satawu is asking for 10 percent, down from their original 18 percent demand.
The union said that a possible compromise being discussed is a settlement of 9.5 percent.
Satawu's Vincent Masoga said that they would respond to the latest offer by noon on Friday.
Masoga said, "It is a continuation of the industrial action intensification. At this point we will be handing over a memorandum of demands, go to the MEC of Transport as well as the officer of transport at the Bargaining Council for Road Transport."
Marchers are expected to gather at Porte Plein Park in Nugget Street and will make their way to MEC Ismail Vadi's office in Simmonds Street.
The bus drivers wage strike has now entered its third week.
Commuters remain severely affected.
It is the second march this week after the union took to the streets on Tuesday.
Another match was supposed to take place in Parliament earlier this week, but the union was denied permission to do so.
Authorities told them the march can go ahead sometime next week.
Thousands of commuters including school children have been affected by the nationwide strike.
The Congress of the South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) supports Satawu as it believes their demands are justified.
However, the trade union federation has called on the roleplayers to quickly find a compromise in order to end the strike.