'Killer' architect out on bail

A 25-year-old architect who allegedly killed a homeless man is out on bail.

A 25-year-old architect who allegedly killed a homeless man is out on bail. Picture: sxc.hu

JOHANNESBURG - A Pretoria architect accused of murdering a homeless man suspected of stealing his girlfriend's iPad has been released on R5,000 bail.

The 25-year-old appeared in the Pretoria Central Prison Court on Thursday where the matter was transferred to the Pretoria Magistrates Court for further proceedings.

The accused had been in custody since the shooting on Tuesday last week.

The court accepted Johannes Coetzee's explanation and found he had no intention of killing anyone.

However, he will face a murder charge.

He is accused of firing shots at a group of homeless people he suspected of stealing his girlfriend's iPad.

After his girlfriend's device was snatched at a traffic light, Coetzee said he traced it using software to a field along Atterbury Road.

Coetzee said he flagged down a patrolling police car and went after the suspects.

He said he fired four warning shots during the pursuit; a teenager was struck in the head and died.

When police arrived at the scene, they discovered the body.

They arrested Coetzee and police continued tracing the iPad and arrested four men, aged between 16 and 30 in possession of the stolen item.