Guptagate: We’ve done nothing wrong

The Guptas maintain they followed proper procedure while preparing for their extravagant wedding.

The Gupta jet, seen leaving Waterkloof Air Force Base on Thursday 2 May 2013. Picture: Paul Treleven

JOHANNESBURG - The Gupta family says it has been inundated with queries since the release of the preliminary reports of the government justice, crime prevention and security cluster.

In a statement by family spokesperson, Gary Naidoo, the family have indicated they have and will continue to co-operate with the investigators in the interests of the full facts being brought to the fore in this matter.

The Guptas say they stand by their position that they obtained permission for every part of the event.

Meanwhile, the Department of Home Affairs says all the wedding guests who arrived at the Waterkloof Air Force Base earlier this week on a Gupta family-chartered jet have been processed through immigration.

Before departure on Friday, 207 passengers and 12 crew members were processed.

Guests of the controversial Gupta family left from OR Tambo International Airport.

At the same time, it has emerged that the representative from the Gupta-owned Sahara computers had approached the defence minister directly to obtain permission to land at the Waterkloof Air Force base but this was denied.

The government released details on Friday of its preliminary investigation into what led to the unauthorised landing of a private jet at the Waterkloof Air Force base.

On Tuesday, Eyewitness News reported that nearly 200 passengers arrived at the base on a plane chartered by the Gupta family to attend a wedding at Sun City.

Defence Minister Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula denied to identify the representative who called asking to help authorise an application to land at the air force base.

"What matters is not the person who raised the matter. What matters is the reaction of the minister which is that I denied permission."

The company is owned by the Guptas and one of President Jacob Zuma's children is a director.

After the minister denied permission to use the base, the Indian High Commissioner submitted an application to use it directly to the air force, undermining the minister's authority.

The Department of International Relations says the commission did not follow proper diplomatic protocol and procedures.