Macia dragging cops lose second court battle

A Pretoria court says the nine cops accused of Mido Macia's death still think they are innocent.

A Pretoria court says the nine cops accused of Mido Macia's death still think they are innocent. Picture: EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Nine policemen accused of killing Daveyton taxi driver Mido Macia have again failed in their bid to be granted bail.

On Friday, the North Gauteng High Court dismissed the appeal they filed after the Benoni Magistrate's Court denied them bail in March.

Macia was dragged through the streets of Daveyton in the East Rand in February after he was handcuffed to the back of a police van. A bystander recorded the incident on a cellphone and the footage was viewed around the world.

Macia later died in the holding cells at the Daveyton Police Station.

Nine officers were arrested in connection with his death.

Judge Eberhard Bertelsmann ruled that despite the community outrage subsiding since Macia's death, the officers could not prove Magistrate Sam Makamu was incorrect to deny bail earlier this year.

Bertelsmann said the fact that all nine men still maintained Macia was not injured when he was locked up in holding cells and that they were surprised to learn he died counted against them.

The National Prosecuting Authority's spokesperson Medupi Simasiku welcomed Friday's ruling.

"We believe that once the investigation has been concluded we will be able to bring the case to trial."

The policemen were due back in the Benoni Magistrate's Court on 24 May when a trial date could be set.

The officers will remain behind bars at the Johannesburg Prison.