Bus strike set to enter second week

Satawu plans to ask train and truck drivers to join the nationwide bus strike.

Striking bus drivers gather in Athlone on 25 April 2013. Picture: Lauren Isaacs/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The South African Transport and Allied Workers Union (Satawu) on Friday said bus drivers were planning to continue with their national strike next week.

After failed attempts to negotiate with employers on Friday, workers have gone back to their initial demand of an 18 percent wage increase.

In a desperate attempt to hike the wages, workers lowered their demand to 13 percent.

But employers are only prepared to offer between seven and eight percent.

Bosses say their demands are unrealistic and refuse to pay a double digit increase.

Satawu's Vincent Masoga said they were trying to get train and truck drivers to join the industrial action next week.

"We're currently in the process of seeking further legal advice from our lawyers to ensure that we continue with the strike. We'll try and get our members in other sectors such as train and truck drivers to join in the strike."

Meanwhile, MyCiti commuters were left stranded earlier in the day.

MyCiti operations across Cape Town were suspended following threats of violence.

The City of Cape Town's Kylie Hatton said services had to be suspended as a precaution.

"Due to threats of violence and intimidation against our staff, we made the difficult decision to suspend all services from 9am. We're concerned about the safety of our service, our staff and our commuters."