Mayor shocked by shack fire deaths
Ekurhuleni Mayor Mondli Gungubele says the family affected by the shack fire will be assisted.
JOHANNESBURG - Ekurhuleni Mayor Mondli Gungubele said he was shocked and saddened by the deaths of four children who were killed in a shack fire early on Tuesday.
The boys, aged between three and 13, died in the Dukathole informal settlement.
Emergency services said the fire was caused by a candle and paraffin stove which was left burning overnight.
Gungubele said local government would help the family through this difficult time.
Mayoral spokesperson Zweli Dlamini said he sent his condolences to the family.
"He is very devastated by the incident and called on all relevant authorities to see how they can help."