Anni Dewani's killer 'recovering'

Cancer-stricken Xolile Mngeni, convicted of firing the shot that killed Anni Dewani is recovering well.

Xolile Mngeni (L) and Mziwamadoda Qwabe (R), accused in the murder of honeymooner Anni Dewani, appear in the Western Cape High Court in Cape Town on Friday, 10 February 2012. Picture: Nardus Engelbrecht/SAPA

CAPE TOWN - Last year Xolile Mngeni was convicted and sentenced to life behind bars for his role in the 2010 murder that caught international headlines.

During his lengthy trial it emerged that while the triggerman's rare brain tumor had disappeared, it may return and prove deadly.

The Correctional Service Department's Koos Gerber said while officials normally don't update the media on an inmate's life behind bars, Mngeni is an exception as his medical condition was made known to the public during his trial.

But Gerber told Eyewitness News that Mngeni is doing fine in Brandvlei Correctional Centre.

He said it seems Mngeni has been able to take care of himself.

"He's using a walking frame and is able to take care of himself and is coping well. He's been detained in the hospital section of the centre. He has obviously got access to medical care."

Mngeni's accomplices' Mziwamadoda Qwabe and taxi driver Zola Tongo are also busy serving their respective jail terms.

Meanwhile in London, a full extradition hearing for Anni's husband Shrien Dewani seems likely to go ahead in three months' time.

He has been accused of orchestrating her murder.