Zuma followed protocol - Presidency
The Presidency has come to Jacob Zuma’s defence regarding the deployment of troops to the CAR.
JOHANNESBURG - President Jacob Zuma complied with all provisions relating to informing Parliament and the public about troop deployment to the Central African Republic (CAR), the Presidency said in a statement on Friday.
It said allegations to the contrary made by some political parties were inaccurate.
Zuma was heavily criticised for sending South African National Defence Force (SANDF) soldiers to the volatile country.
At least 13 soldiers were killed and 27 others wounded in a battle with rebels in March.
Presidency spokesperson Mac Maharaj said Zuma followed proper protocol.
"Zuma gave the reasons [for the deployment] in writing, including the number of soldiers deployed and the period [they would stay]."
But questions remain about exactly why the soldiers were to CAR.
According to a report in the Mail & Guardian last week, troops were sent to the country to protect the business interests of politically connected individuals.
Several politicians have denied the allegations.
Meanwhile, a memorial service for the fallen soldiers was held at the Swartkop Air Force Base in Pretoria on Tuesday.
Zuma said no country shared its military strategies, and political parties and commentators should be careful not to potentially endanger state and personnel security.