Govt. disappointment with Karabus case
The SA government will step up diplomatic talks in Professor Cyril Karabus’ manslaughter case.
CAPE TOWN - The Department of International Relations will step up diplomatic talks with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in relation to Cape Town Professor Cyril Karabus' manslaughter case.
UAE prosecutors now want to appeal a court's decision last week, which found Karabus not guilty of manslaughter and forgery.
The charges relate to the death of a young cancer patient he treated there more than a decade ago.
The appeal means Karabus will now remain in Abu Dhabi indefinitely.
International Relations spokesperson Clayson Monyela said, "The South African government is very disappointed with the latest developments."
Karabus' son, Michael, says it is not clear on what grounds the prosecutors are appealing.
"He just emailed saying his lawyers in Abu Dhabi had notified him of the new hearing date on 9 April. We are all gutted."
Karabus was arrested in August while on his way home from his son's wedding in Canada.
He turns 78 on Monday.