I'm still the COO - Motsoeneng
A technicality has led to SABC acting COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng still keeping his position.
JOHANNESBURG - Hlaudi Motsoeneng has confirmed to Eyewitness News he is still acting chief operating officer (COO) of the SABC and is carrying out his duties as he was before being fired by the former board.
The board was dissolved last week after members rebelled against a move by its former chairperson Ben Ngubane to reinstate Motsoeneng.
He also said that although the board had removed him from the position, that information was never communicated to the minister Dina Pule.
The ministry says it never received that formal communication and thus, technically, Motsoeneng is still the acting COO.
Ngubane and deputy Thami ka Plaatjie, who were reportedly in favour of keeping Motsoeneng in his position as COO, resigned from the board earlier this month. Six other board members resigned last Monday, while Green withdrew from the board a day later.
Motsoeneng's initial appointment as acting operations chief was called into question when it emerged he did not have a matric certificate.
Motsoeneng has admitted to stopping political discussions on the public broadcaster's radio stations.
His position at the public broadcaster could become quite controversial as the 2014 general elections approach.