Terrorist Okah’s case draws to end

Henry Okah will for the last time today try convince a court he deserves a lenient sentence.

Convicted Nigerian terrorist Henry Okah will for the last time today try convince a court he deserves a lenient sentence. Picture: AFP

JOHANNESBURG - Convicted Nigerian terrorist Henry Okah will have his last opportunity on Wednesday to convince the South Gauteng High Court he deserves a lenient sentence.

Okah orchestrated and funded the twin car bombings in Abuja, where 12 people died in October in 2010.

He was convicted on 13 counts, including terrorism and the detonation of explosives.

Two and half years since his arrest, his case is now expected to wrap-up.

The defence and the prosecution are expected to submit their final arguments in aggravation or mitigation of Okah's sentence.

Prosecutor Shaun Abrahams dismissed most of the evidence submitted by Okah's family-friend and pastor Ekiyor Filanis, who described the convicted terrorist as man incapable of violence.

Filanis said more than 20 million Nigerian citizens saw Okah as a philanthropist and a freedom fighter, but he had no answer when asked if he counted the families of the 12 people who died in the bombings.

Another pastor, Johannes Clark, who is the principal of the school where Okah's four children attend, detailed how they had been changed by their father's arrest.

Clark told the court his children began displaying anti-social behaviour towards fellow pupils and that Okah's eldest daughter developed an eating disorder.