SABC's woes deepen
Communications Minister Dina Pule and the remaining board members of the SABC will report to Parliament.
CAPE TOWN - Communications Minister Dina Pule says she wants to restore stability to the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) as quickly as possible.
Pule and the remaining SABC board members will report to Parliament today about the situation at the public broadcaster.
The board could likely be dissolved after most of the members quit, leaving the SABC without a functioning governing body.
Six board members resigned yesterday, leaving only three positions filled.
The minister's spokesperson Siya Qoza said she "has noted the request from the president to liaise with the National Assembly to try and find a solution as quickly as possible."
Qoza said the minister was trying to do that as soon as possible.
The corporation has been thrown into disarray after infighting over several issues, most notably Hlaudi Motsoeneng's position as acting chief operations officer.
Former board chairperson Ben Ngubane and his deputy Thami ka Plaatjie resigned earlier this month. It is understood they wanted Motsoeneng to continue as COO, while most board members felt he should be replaced.
Motsoeneng has faced questions over his ability to lead the SABC's operations after it emerged he did not complete matric.
PORTFOLIO COMMITTEE TO DECIDE ON PLAN
On Monday, President Jacob Zuma's office announced that he had accepted the resignations of chairman Ngubane, his deputy and six board members.
The Communications Portfolio Committee Chairperson Eric Kholwane said the committee has to take a decision on one of two things.
Kholwane said "appropriate" steps would be taken once the committee has heard from the remaining board members and the chief executive officer today.
The committee could opt to fill the posts, which could take months to complete, or it could dissolve the board and appoint an interim one.