SABC given deadline to resolve COO issues
Communications Minister Dina Pule has given the SABC board until Friday to sort out its problems.
JOHANNESBURG - Communications Minister Dina Pule on Tuesday has given the SABC board until the end of the week to sort out its problems over Hlaudi Motsoeneng.
On Monday, the board rejected a claim by its chair Ben Ngubane that Motsoeneng had been reinstated as acting chief operating officer after an earlier board meeting had removed him.
The SABC board said Motsoeneng would revert to his position as group executive of provinces, but gave no reason for its decision.
The former acting COO clamped down on wasteful and corrupt spending at the SABC, saving them millions of rands.
Pule said the only legal document she has from the board was its original letter removing Motsoeneng from the post of acting COO.
"I still need them to go and finally agree on this confusion that has been created by them, so that they can advise me by the end of the week.
And she said she expected the board to carry out their responsibilities "with honour".
Pule said she was frustrated by the public spat, adding that public spats within the public broadcaster's board affected the whole country.
But she does not have a view on whether Motsoeneng should be acting COO.
"It will be very difficult for me to say whether I want him to stay or I don't want him to stay because it's not my place."
She said she was formally telling Parliament about the problems because it appointed the board.