Mix-up in Motsoeneng's sacking
There is conflict within the SABC about whether it has removed Hlaudi Motsoeneng as ACOO.
JOHANNESBURG - There appeared to be serious conflict within the SABC board on Tuesday morning as it said it had not changed its decision to remove Hlaudi Motsoneng as acting Chief Operating Officer (COO).
On Monday, The New Age newspaper quoted board chair Ben Ngubane saying the decision had been rescinded while deputy chair Thami Ka Plaatjie confirmed withdrawing the board's letter about the decision to the communications ministry.
Now the other board members say no one person can change their decision to remove Motsoeneng.
The board's Lumko Mtimde said Motsoeneng was not acting COO.
Last week Monday, the SABC Board and its chairperson resolved to release Motsoeneng of his responsibility as acting COO "effective immediately" and for him to revert back to his previous position as group executive for provinces.
"The meeting further appointed Mr. Mike Siluma as the new Acting Chief Operations Officer with immediate effect. Whereas, Mr. Siluma resigned, he will continue to act until end of April 2013," read a statement from the majority of board members.
"It is critical to note that, since then, the Board has not met to rescind this resolution. It cannot be then that the board resolution to relieve the former acting COO of his acting duties has been rescinded. The so called "withdrawal" of letters signed by the Deputy Chairman Thami ka Plaatjie (on behalf of the board) does not have any effect on the Board resolution taken at a properly convened Board meeting. The resolution stands until rescinded by another properly constituted board meeting."