SAHRC forges ahead with Xingwana 'Afrikaner' probe
The SAHRC will continue to probe Lulu Xingwana following her utterances about Afrikaner men.
JOHANNESBURG - The South African Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) on Monday said it will push ahead with its investigation of hate speech against Women and Children's Minister Lulu Xingwana, despite the politician apologising for her comments.
Last week, Xingwana told Australian media Afrikaner men grow up believing they have a right to kill their wives because they own them.
She continues to draw heavy criticism over the comment. Most recently political heavyweight, and Xingwana's fellow minister, Trevor Manuel criticised Xingwana.
Manuel told the Daily Maverick when comments like that are made political loyalties are no excuse for staying silent.
He was quoted speaking directly to his colleague saying, "Madam, you are outside the finding provisions of our Constitution. You can't make these outlandish statements; it is wrong."
At the same time, the SAHRC Kayum Ahmed said they received fresh complaints and would be asking the minister to answer to the allegations.
"The complainant alleges that despite the minister's decision to apologise and to withdraw her statement, he still believes that we need to continue investigate the matter."
Ahmed said a case of this nature could take three weeks or longer to conclude.
Xingwana apologised but said her comments were taken out of context.