Zuma delays SIU head appointment again
Jacob Zuma isn’t ready to appoint a new SIU head despite promises he would by the end of February.
JOHANNESBURG - The Presidency on Wednesday said Jacob Zuma will not appoint a new head to the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) or the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) by Thursday.
In January, Justice Minister Jeff Radebe said Zuma would make the appointment by the end of February this year.
The SIU has been left without a permanent head for over a year and two months.
Former head Advocate Willem Heath stepped down for a second time in December 2011 after claims were made that former President Thabo Mbeki was responsible for Zuma being charged with rape and corruption charges.
He first resigned from the post in 2001.
Heath said the unit needed a leader willing to give it direction.
He also claimed the unit has not been working properly for 10 years.
Last year the Constitutional Court overturned Zuma's appointment of Menzi Simelane as NPA head saying he wasn't fit.
The Presidency said Zuma isn't ready to fill the posts and officials can't explain the delay.
In his State of the Nation Address Zuma said he would fill these posts urgently.