Rape Crisis gets a lifeline
The Social Development Department has come to the rescue of struggling Rape Crisis.
CAPE TOWN - The Western Cape Social Development Department on Thursday donated R1.3 million to Cape Town non-governmental organisation (NGO) Rape Crisis.
The department said NGOs need continuous financial support because their role in society is crucial.
According to statistics, a person is raped every four minutes in South Africa.
The NGO sector in general has been struggling in recent years due to a lack of funding.
Social Development MEC Albert Fritz said the donation would help NGOs working with victims of sexual assault and domestic violence.
He said the gang-rape and murder of Bredasdorp teenager Anene Booysen was the force behind the initiative.
The 17-year-old was raped, mutilated and left for dead.
Fritz challenged other government departments and companies to follow his lead and help support the cause.
The MEC handed over a cheque to the director of Rape Crisis earlier on Thursday.
He said South Africans need to do more about violence against women and children than simply expressing outrage.
Meanwhile, one of the men accused in the Booysen case was denied bail in the Bredasdorp Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.
Jonathan Davids and his co-accused Johannes Kana were arrested in connection with the attack earlier in February.
Booysen was found at a construction site but managed to name Davids as one of her attackers before succumbing to her injuries.