Bredasdorp rape accused in court

The NPA says it will oppose bail in the Anene Booysen rape and murder case.

Two men appeared in the Bredasdorp Regional Court on 12 February 2013 in connection with Anene Booysen's gang rape and murder. Picture: Renee de Villiers/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) on Monday said it would oppose bail in the Anene Booysen rape and murder case.

Jonathan Davids (22) and Johannes Kana (21) will return to the Bredasdorp Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, where they are expected to apply for bail.

A third person was initially charged but released when it emerged no evidence linked him to the crimes.

Booysen was gang raped, mutilated and left for dead at a construction site earlier in February.

The 17-year-old old later died in hospital from her injuries, but not before she identified one of her alleged rapists to police.

NPA spokesperson Eric Ntabazalila said the investigations were ongoing.

"As the state, we will oppose bail."

Ntabazalila also squashed rumours that another man had handed himself over to police and had been charged with the teenager's death.

He said the rumours had been "proven to be wrong".

Meanwhile, Davids' uncle Nico September said the family is anxious about today's court meeting.

"We as a family are feeling a bit tense, but we are positive he will get bail."

He said the murder accused was doing well under the circumstances.