No bail for Booysen accused - investigator
The investigating officer told a packed courtroom it may not be wise to grant Davids bail.
CAPE TOWN - The investigating officer testifying in the bail application of one of the men accused of the gang-rape and murder of Anene Booysen on Tuesday said he should not be granted bail.
Jonathan Davids' bail hearing is underway in the Bredasdorp Magistrate's Court.
Davids is one of several men who allegedly raped, mutilated and left the 17-year-old for dead.
The teenager was found at a construction site earlier in February.
She managed to name one of her killers before succumbing to her injuries in hospital.
The investigating officer told a packed courtroom it may not be wise to grant accused number one bail.
Edward Abo said he could not guarantee Davids safety, adding the community was outraged following the incident.
He went on to read out the memorandum of concerns following the incident.
The document was handed over to court officials two weeks ago.
The policeman also mentioned a previous charge listed against Davids which includes assault.
Abo admitted the investigation was not yet finalised.
He said while they are still waiting final forensic results, they believe they have a strong case against Davids.
Earlier, the court heard in graphic detail how Booysen looked following the attack.
The teen was found by a security guard at a construction site where she apparently worked.
She was found lying between two houses, but still alive.
She was injured from the waist down and bloodied semen was found on the scene.
Her intestines were visible and her face was badly swollen.
Davids maintain he is not guilty of the crime.